Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Straying and Lessons I'm Still Learning

It is so true that when God has you, the Devil pulls out all the stops to get you back. From the day I was baptized, my life was one trial after another. Did I stray after trials; after jolts that shook my core? Yes, many times I did.

There were times, after adversity hit, that I lost my way. There were times when I was just so tired; times when I strayed that were unintentional.  Some of the times I strayed more than I did at other times, but stray I did. No, I didn't turn to drugs or alcohol or anything like that. My way of straying was to stay away from God.

God wants his children with Him. I look back on my life and I see so many people that God put in my life that, at one time or another, led me back to Him. People like Mrs. Waller (sp?) who owned the preschool Brandi and Eric attended. She pulled me aside one day and asked if she could start picking up the children on Sundays to go to church. She explained that she was the Children's Sunday School Coordinator and took several children on Sundays in the daycare (or was it the church) van. I agreed for several reasons: 1) I really did want my children to feel the love and acceptance of church as I had. 2) This lady had been my angel when I sought childcare. She quickly became my mentor in a lot of ways so, I trusted her to guide me. 3) Selfishly, I thought I could get some rest. I was working 3 jobs and I was exhausted.

Before long, the children were to be in a program at the church. Mrs. Waller made sure I knew and would be there. Of course, I would go. I walked through the doors at Trinity United Methodist Church in Charleston to find the missing piece to my life. That was all it took, I was back in church. I had a church family again. This was during a very difficult time in my life; going through a divorce and a major custody battle alone in a new city with 2 babies.

Very soon after I started attending Trinity, I knew I wanted to have the children christened there. This also was a testament of reaffirming my faith. Oh, how Rev Matthews and our new church family rejoiced.

I know my life right now doesn't show it, but I do believe it is important to worship with others to stay on the right path. I am still a work in progress. I believe completely in God. I am not always the best at following the path He has for me, but I am getting there. Through many trials, I have come a long way with trust issues.

This is just one minor way He has brought me back. More to come.

My prayer for us all is that we always find our way back and that straying becomes a thing of the past for all who are like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment