Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Back to the Basics

I don't remember a time when I didn't believe in God. I was raised to just KNOW that HE IS. My first memories of going to church are before I started school. For a couple of years, I went to Martha's Chapel in Pound, VA for a couple of years or so. I don't have a lot of memories there, but I felt loved and safe.

By the time I was in first grade, or around then, I started going to Glady Fork Freewill Baptist Church. The feeling of just walking into that church is indescribable. I felt loved, safe, and the most accepted feeling of my life. My first memories there are of my Sunday School class. We would learn the most amazing things. My thirst of knowledge could not be quenched with the songs and Bible stories that my first teacher, Wilma Hampton, taught! I wanted MORE, MORE, MORE! All week, I couldn't wait to go back! Songs like "Get The Behind Me Satin", "The B I B L E", and many more come flooding back. She made learning about Jesus and His love for us fun. She told us about when she was a little girl and was taught about Jesus and how she planned to eat birch when the devil is loosed on the earth. I remember thinking I will do that too. She explained that, as she grew up, she realized that she would not be able to survive on birch bark. I started trying to figure out at that time what to do when that time comes. I decided then and there that I will not take the mark of the devil, I wanted so badly to belong to God. I decided that I would do whatever it took to belong to Him. The love I felt from the Lord was so intense. I had never felt anything like it. Don't get me wrong, I knew my family loved me, but this love was all consuming. I loved to be in church and to bask it that love. Being such a young child, I didn't understand it, but I knew it was RIGHT.

I grew up in that church. I took my children to that church. There are more memories to come along with how God has worked in life. How He brought me back to Him when I strayed, but that will be for another day. He sure does work in mysterious ways and time sure has a way of circling back around.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post, Donna! I am so proud of Brandi for issuing the challenge through her blog to encourage everyone to start reflecting on their faith journey and sharing their story with others. Your story is real and it reflects the power of God at work in our lives through the community of faith. I don't know where you are going to church right now, but want to be sure you know you are always welcome at PSUMC. I always appreciate seeing you and your family sitting together and noticing the love you have for God and for one another. I hope you can join us on Sept 21st for our Back to Church Sunday - Brandi and others are working with me to help make this day a special Sunday that helps folks connect with God and one another in meaningful ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rev Becky. That means a lot to me. I won't be able to make it on Sept 21st, we will be out of town, but we do plan to come back. I admit I haven't been to church since my dad got sick and passed. I could give you all the excuses in the world which are true, but lame. I am so tired from all the trips to VA and handling everything and making sure my mom is okay, etc, but I know these are just excuses. I was just feeling a part of PSUMC when everything happened with my dad. God is laying it heavy on me to return and I will. We love you all and, I can't promise when, but we do plan to come back.

      Delete